Paleo Brownie Mix for Mason Jars
Finding the perfect gift for your friends or family members can be a challenge during the holiday season. Check out this fun and “healthier” version of chocolate brownies that can put in a decorative jar for the perfect gift for your neighbors and ohana.
The word ‘Paleo’ simply means this mix is free of grains, gluten, and dairy making it a great option for those with certain food allergies or sensitivities to those ingredients. It’s also naturally lower in sugar and refined carbohydrates which tend to sabotage even our best efforts during the holiday season.
Don’t sacrifice flavor, try this recipe today! The peppermint essential oil listed in the recipe can be given as a gift with the brownies or omitted altogether. If you do use peppermint essential oil, be sure to only use a certified therapeutic grade oil that is guaranteed safe for ingestion.
Paleo Brownie Mix for a Mason Jar
Recipe makes one quart-sized jar, for one gift. Scale recipe as needed.
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder or cacao powder
- 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot starch
- 2 tsp coconut flour (sift, if needed, to remove lumps)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
Instructions for one jar of Paleo brownie mix (i.e. this is what YOU — the gift giver — will do):
- In a large bowl, mix sugars, cocoa/cacao, flours, starch, baking soda, and salt. Use a whisk or fork to break up any lumps, stirring until completely combined.
- Pour mixture into quart-sized (or slightly smaller) glass jar with lid. Top with mini chocolate chips. It’s okay if the chocolate chips get shaken into (or otherwise incorporated into) the brownie mix… They just look pretty when they’re on top. It’s all about presentation!
- Screw on lid. Decorate and label as desired.
- Be sure to add an instruction sheet or card with the directions as follows. Gift recipient will only have to come up with eggs and coconut oil or butter… Not too much to ask, I’m sure!
Instructions to provide to gift recipient (print/write this out and attach to jar of brownie mix along with a bottle of certified pure, therapeutic grade peppermint essential oil):
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease, spray, or line a 9×9″ or 8×8″ baking pan.
- Pour brownie mix into mixing bowl.
- Add 4 eggs and 1/4 cup melted coconut oil *or* melted organic butter, plus 5 drops peppermint essential oil (essential oil may be included, eggs and oil/butter NOT included).
- Mix with electric mixer (or by hand for a great arm workout) until well combined. Batter will be thick. Add up to 1.5 Tbsp water for ease of mixing ONLY IF NEEDED.
- Turn batter into prepared pan. Smooth to edges and bake for 20-25 minutes until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool, cut into squares, and enjoy! Best served with a scoop of ice cream (dairy or non-dairy).
- Store leftovers in fridge or freezer.
Hope you enjoy this recipe! It’s shared by a good friend from FemFusion Fitness. Check out her website for even more amazing recipes and fitness tips!