Colorful Garbanzo Bean Salad
This salad is one of my favourites – it’s healthful and tasty, plus it’s cheap and easy to make. It’s also very versatile; you can add fish or grains or avocado – or all three. Plus it makes a great lunch, since it doesn’t need to be warmed up and is as easy to eat as a sandwich.
The following quantities should be enough for about four servings, depending on what you choose to add to it and of course on how ferocious your appetite is.
Colorful Garbanzo Bean Salad:
- 4 cups cooked garbanzo beans (or 2 cans garbanzo beans, drained)
- ½ cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 4 sprigs of green onion, finely chopped
- 4 celery stalks, finely chopped
- ¼ cup coriander, finely chopped
Salad Dressing Ingredients:
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 tsp cumin
- Pinch of coconut sugar (or alternative sweetener)
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Assemble all salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, add all salad dressing ingredients and whisk for 15 – 20 seconds.
- Pour salad dressing ingredients into large bowl and mix.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge and allow flavors to fuse before serving.
-Serve on top of red lettuce or salad greens or wrap in greens for a fun, gluten-free wrap
-Serve on top of a bed of rainbow quinoa or black wild rice
-Top with sliced avocado
-For extra protein and omega 3 fatty acids add grilled wild salmon or a can of sardines