Creamy and Dreamy Coconut Yogurt
Many of enjoy the smooth and creamy flavor of yogurt. It’s a popular snack and a great way to add more fermented foods into our diets.
For most, yogurt is a food that’s easy to digest, but for others who have a dairy-allergy or are lactose intolerant, yogurt is an off limits food choice.
Whether you are unable to eat dairy, or just looking a fun alternative, we would like to share a fun recipe for coconut yogurt using fresh young coconut from the farmer’s market.
This recipe isn’t a true yogurt because it isn’t fermented, but it’s no fuss and that’s why we love it. We simply add our favorite probiotics to the recipe to get our good bacteria in the mix. You can call this a “cheater” yogurt recipe, but we love easy and easy is what you get with this recipe!
Creamy & Dreamy Coconut Yogurt
Makes 1-2 servings
- 1 young coconut, flesh scooped out
- 1/2 cup coconut water (from young coconut) or use filtered water
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (or to taste) or 1-2 drops certified therapeutic grade lemon essential oil
- 1-2 caps of powdered probiotic capsules (we used Metagenics UltraFlora Balance)
- pinch of sea salt (we use pink hawaiian sea salt)
- 2-3 tsp 100% pure maple syrup
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend on low. Gradually increase speed to high and blend until very smooth and no longer grainy. This shouldn’t take long with the fresh coconut. Add sweetener as desired.
- Spoon yogurt into an air-tight container and chill for at least 1 hour before consuming.
- Serve any way you like! We enjoy eating it with a sprinkle of cinnamon, fresh fruit and/or low-sugar, grain-free granola. Add 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder for a delicious spin on chocolate pudding that can be used for dipping strawberries or just enjoying with a spoon as a healthy dessert!