This bright and satisfying grilled chicken salad is the perfect easy summer dinner to add to your rotation. You’ll start with a bed of sturdy romaine lettuce for crunch, then toss in a handful of fresh herbs to brighten it up. Mix in cucumbers, juicy tomatoes, creamy avocado, lightly pickled red onion, and tangy goat cheese crumbles, then top it off with lime-kissed slices of juicy grilled chicken and a punchy vinaigrette. The big, bold flavors and crisp ingredients ensure you’ll never tire of this tasty, feel-good combo.
Grilled Chicken Salad
- 1 Fry Pan
- 3 Zip Top Bags
- 2 cloves garlic small
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 whole limes medium
- 1 tbsp mustard dijon
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil extra-virgin
For the Salad
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breast
- 1/2 whole red onion small, medium
- 1 whole romaine lettuce hearts, 1 large or 2 small
- 1/5 cup cilantro
- 1/5 cup dill
- 1/5 cup mint
- 1/5 cup parsley
- 1 tbsp avocado oil for the frypan
- 2 whole cucumbers persian or english
- 6 oz cherry tomatoes about 1 cup
- 1 whole avocado medium, large
- 4 oz goat cheese fresh
- Mince 2 small garlic cloves and place in a medium bowl. Squeeze the juice from the limes until you have 1/4 cup, then add to the bowl. Add apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon mustard, 1 tablespoon honey, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a few grinds black pepper. Whisk until the salt is dissolved. While whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in extra-virgin olive oil and continue whisking until emulsified.
- Place 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast inside a gallon zip-top bag. Use the flat side of a meat mallet or a rolling pin and pound until 1/2-inch thick. Repeat with the second chicken breast.
- Make sure your zip-top bag does not have any holes in it from pounding the chicken breasts. If it does, replace with a new bag. Otherwise, return the chicken to the bag and add 1/4 cup of the dressing. Seal the bag and massage to coat the chicken. Place the bag on a baking sheet and arrange the chicken so it sits in a single layer. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight. Refrigerate the remaining dressing if marinating the chicken overnight.
- Prepare a gas grill for direct, high heat, or prepare a charcoal grill for both direct and indirect high heat (pile the coals on one half the grill). Meanwhile, remove the chicken and let sit at room temperature. Thinly slice 1/2 small red onion. Place in a small bowl, add 2 tablespoons of the dressing, and stir to combine. Core and chop 1 large or 2 small head romaine lettuce hearts crosswise into thin strips (about 10 packed cups). Place in a large salad bowl. Finely chop 1/2 cup fresh herb leaves and add to the bowl.
- When the grill is ready, scrape the grates clean. Remove the chicken breasts from the marinade with tongs. Place on the grill, cover, and cook undisturbed until grill marks appear, about 4 minutes. If the meat sticks to the grill, continue to cook for another minute until it releases easily. Flip and cook the second side until grill marks appear, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium on a gas grill (or transfer to indirect heat on a charcoal grill) and grill until the chicken is cooked through and registers 165°F on an instant-read thermometer. Transfer to a clean plate and let rest while you finish the salad.
- When ready to serve, drizzle 1/4 cup of the dressing (rewhisk before using if needed) over the greens and gently toss to coat. Prepare the following ingredients, adding each one to the salad bowl as you complete it: quarter 2 Persian cucumbers or 1/2 English cucumber lengthwise, then chop into 1/2-inch pieces; halve 6 ounces cherry tomatoes (about 1 cup); thinly slice 1 medium avocado.