One great way to save money and get more vegetables into your day is by learning how to make your own “go-to” smoothies. Once you get into the groove of making your own favorite basic smoothie recipe, you can easily swap out ingredients to create more nutrient and taste diversity. I love this green smoothie as a simple smoothie starter recipe for the whole family!
Super Greenie Smoothie
- 1 high speed blender
- 1.5 cups nut milk (I like blended almond milk-coconut milk variety best)
- 1 cup coconut water
- 2 cups baby kale or spinach
- 1 whole apple banana 1 or 2 small bananas (or 1 regular sized banana)
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 2 scoops collagen protein powder
- Add greens, coconut water, nut milk, banana, and almond butter into the blender. Blend for 30 seconds on high until creamy.
- Add in collagen powder and blend on low
- Add in ice cubes and blend on medium until smooth.
- Tips to maximize the health benefit of a smoothie: work towards a higher vegetable to fruit ratio. You can start where you are regarding taste and slowly increase the greens and reduce the fruit over time. For parents who want a little sweeter version for the kids, you can always add another banana to blend in after you pour yourself a glass.
- Kitchen Tip: Don’t let those over-ripe bananas on your counter go to waste! They are perfect for smoothies! I make sure to throw them in the freezer (peeled first), so I always have some frozen bananas on hand to whip up a smoothie.
- Optional Add-ins: This is where you can really mix things up. You can add hemp seeds, flaxseeds, cinnamon, chia seeds, avocado, ginger, mint, various protein powders or even different fruits like mango or pineapple to keep mixing up the taste and nutrient variety.
- Functional medicine tip: Quickly steam the kale or spinach (and discard the liquid) to reduce oxalate content if you are following a low oxalate diet.
- Want to make it vegetarian? Swap out collagen powder for your favorite plant-based protein powder or blend in some hemp and flaxseeds for added protein.
From my kitchen to yours. With nourishment and love,