Buffalo Chicken Zoodles
In an effort to transition to a more plant-based diet, rich in colorful vegetables, one might consider the introduction of “zoodles”; a lower-carbohydrate, nutrient dense replacement for pasta.
“Zoodles” have become more popular over the recent years and it’s easier than ever to find kitchen tools that help turn vegetables, like zucchini, into thin strips which resemble pasta. We love this julienne peeler as well as the spiralizer to make our zoodles. We also love the fact they are easy to make and even faster to cook!
This recipe may not be what you expected, but the flavors are phenomenal! If you love Buffalo chicken wings, this will be a hit at your house. Because the chicken is not deep fried in unhealthy oils and we are replacing the pasta with fresh veggies, this meal will leave both your taste buds and tummy happy.
Buffalo Chicken Zoodles Recipe
- 3 large organic chicken breasts (about 1.5 pounds), rinsed and fat trimmed
- 3/4 cup hot sauce (Frank’s Red Hot Sauce)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 3 large or 4 small zucchini
- 1/2 cup greek plain yogurt
- 2.5 ounces blue cheese crumbles
- 2 T. organic mayo made with olive oil
- 1 tsp. mustard
- 1 T. garlic powder (or to taste)
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- Carrots, peeled and cut into sticks
- Celery, cut into sticks
- Place chicken instant pot. Cover with hot sauce and garlic. Set for 15 minutes at high pressure. Alternatively you can use a regular or electric pressure cooker. You can also put chicken in a crockpot with hot sauce and garlic but cooking time will likely require 3-4 hours on high setting.
- When cooking is completed, shred chicken and place back into pot to mix with juices until read to serve.
- Meanwhile, use small glass dish to combine yogurt, blue cheese, mayo, mustard, garlic powder, salt/pepper. This will be used on top of chicken and as a dip for carrots and celery and can be made 2-3 days in advance if necessary.
- Make zoodles out of zucchini. Microwave in a glass bowl for 3-4 minutes or until tender after chicken has been shredded.
- Layer buffalo chicken and a dollop of blue cheese dip on top of cooked zoodles. Serve immediately with carrots, celery and additional blue cheese dip.