I could go on and on about how bad refined sugar is for our bodies and minds. But it is Friday and I’d rather focus on the fun stuff; such as adding in sweetness that is naturally good for you.
When you enjoy the natural sweetness of fruits and vegetables you don’t expose yourself to all the negative side effects of refined sugar – instead you allow your body to access all the wonderful antioxidants and other disease-fighting properties that fruits and vegetables provide. Plus it’s good for your mind –no guilt, no brain fog . Sounds like a no-brainer, right?
Cinnamon Flavored Baked Sweet Vegetables, Apple and Walnuts:
- ½ a medium sized butternut squash – peeled and cubed
- 2 large carrots – peeled and sliced
- 2 medium apples (or pears)– peeled and cubed.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 – 2 tbs cinnamon
- Grated ginger ( thumb size)
- ½ cup raw, unsalted walnuts
- Preheat Oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel and Chop fresh ingredients (squash, carrots and apples).
- Place butternut and carrot pieces in small plastic or Ziploc bag with oil, cinnamon and grated ginger.
- Shake it up – make sure bag is sealed when shaking it!
- After a few seconds of shaking, pour vegetables in baking pan.
- Bake for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and add apples and walnuts.
- Bake for another 10 – 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and make sure the fruit and vegetables are soft.
This dish/snack is definitely best served fresh and warm – better than apple pie! 🙂 It makes a great mid-afternoon snack, dessert or side-dish.
*Leftovers Tip: Heat a little coconut oil in a pan, add cooked brown rice, leftover Sweet Vegetables and a handful of raisins. Stir thoroughly and enjoy once it’s warm. Serve with a big, green salad and healthful protein of your choice. Tasty and satisfying!
I hope that you’ve enjoyed this recipe and that you’re excited to continue your journey to optimal health and wellness. If you need more guidance or tips on how to reach your health and wellness goals, please feel free to send me an e-mail at email@example.com. I look forward to sharing more fun wellness tips with you!