Are you looking for a quick, healthy breakfast recipe that incorporates protein, fat and fiber? Look no further. In this short video, I will show you how to make a very simple and easy breakfast that incorporates chia seeds for protein and fiber, fruit for energy and antioxidants and nuts for healthy fats and protein. This is a perfect recipe for a busy mom, culinary challenged cook, or lazy teenager.
For those of you who are intolerant to dairy, this is an excellent recipe which allows you to enjoy the texture and taste of real pudding without the negative consequences of lactose consumption. This recipe is also vegetarian and vegan friendly for those of you avoiding animal products.
Overnight Chia Breakfast Pudding (serves 1)
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- tiny splash pure vanilla extract
- 1 small banana
- ½ cup berries of choice (frozen or fresh)
- small handful of nuts of choice (slivered almonds, pecans or macadamia nuts)
- Stir together chia, coconut milk, water and vanilla. Let sit for 3-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice banana into small, bite-sized, chunks.
- Give chia mixture one more stir (this second stir is important!) and poke the chunks of banana and berries into pudding so they are well covered. This will prevent them from browning overnight.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, top with sliced almonds, pecans or macadamia nuts for a yummy, on-the-go breakfast option!
If you having trouble, order your seeds from vitacost.com or check out Whole Foods or Down To Earth stores in your area.
In Health and Vitality,
~Beth (your NEW IMUA Registered Dietitian Nutritionist!)